Tuesday, January 29th, 2013
UPDATE: The Missouri House Committee on Children, Families, and Persons with Disabilities will hold a hearing on HB 87 today at 12 noon in Hearing Room 1 at the state Capitol. Late last night, SB 20 was perfected and ordered to be printed by the Senate.
by Planned Parenthood Affiliates of Missouri Monday Monitor, January 28, 2013
This week public hearings in the House and the Senate took place to reinstate tax credits. Both bills, SB 20 and HB 87, would allow for pregnancy resource centers to continue benefiting from tax credits.
At the hearing for HB 87, Pamela Sumners, Executive Director of NARAL Pro-Choice Missouri, testified for informational purposes. Sumners presented information from an investigation into pregnancy resource centers. The investigation found pregnancy resources centers in Missouri often provide false information and do not offer comprehensive information and options regarding contraception. NARAL Pro-Choice Missouri findings included:
- 92% of centers refused to tell the woman where she could obtain birth control
- 92% of testers were not given the opportunity to speak to medical staff
- 70% advocated abstinence-only until marriage
- 54% of centers stated or implied that condoms are far less effective in preventing STIs, HIV/AIDS and pregnancy than they actually are (with one suggesting that condom use actually increased the risk of HIV infection)
- 77% of these centers do not employ medical doctors or nurses
- 38% told women or implied in their written material that abortion increased the risk of infertility
- 62% employed nominal financial incentives, from free pregnancy tests to a “baby boutique” where pregnant women could shop for items for their babies
- 28% told women or implied in their written material that abortion increases the risk of breast cancer
- 69% of centers engaged in religious proselytism
The investigation took place from 2010-2012. Ten of the 21 facilities investigated were recognized by the state of Missouri as eligible for tax credits. CLICK HERE to read more.